The Dangers of Delaying a SOC Implementation
Defining a Security Operations Center
A SOC functions to maintain situational awareness of the computer systems and networks it monitors. Events are monitored by software and transmitted to the SOC for logging and review by an analyst team. In addition, between the software and the team, cyberattacks can be prevented, detected early and responded to quickly.
Why a SOC Makes Sense
First, here are seven statistics that help build the case for a SOC:
- Over four billion records were exposed to hackers last year
- Over 250,000 new malware samples are identified every day
- Average dollar impact of data breaches ranges from $86,500 to $891,000
- 64% of companies only have an informal threat intelligence program and
- 50% of IT professionals stated they could not predict or detect a sophisticated cyberattack
- 43% of security incidents resulted in data losses
- 32% of all computers are subject to at least one attack
Sources: 2016-17 EY Global Information Security Survey 2017 Verizon Data Breach Investigations Report
Second, compliance standards are coming your way regarding data privacy laws and regulations. Failure to comply can result in stiff governmental fines and open your organization up to costly lawsuits.
Comprehensive Cybersecurity Monitoring and Compliance is Needed
Real-time monitoring of your entire network and all the devices connected to it on a 24/7 basis will allow your cybersecurity team to engage in proactive defenses and rapid remediation. Choosing the right option will also keep your organization in constant compliance, protecting it from costly regulatory fines. Believe it or not, the cost of SOC deliverables is less than a traditional Managed Security Service Provider. The latter option only blocks limited functionality on the network. MSSP does not address compliance regulations that are constantly fluid.
ProActive Technology Group Can Be Your SOC
Though this decision may seem complicated, we can help make the streamlining of this process easier by handling all monitoring remotely. SOC practices can save your organization money, increase monitoring efficiencies and keep your company in constant compliance. Call us 516.876.8200 to speak with one of our technical team members today!